Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Slasher Cast-a-Thon


Every October, I go wall to wall horror. Thirty-one days in a row, no days off. This year, I want you to be able to join in on the fun. Yup, that means it's a horror themed blogathon. And since slasher flicks are a guilty pleasure of mine, let's use those for our template.

You know how they work.

A nearly indestructible boogey man stalks and butchers a group of people one by one until he himself is killed by that one (virginal) girl who has managed to survive until the end of the movie. That is exactly how this is going to work. So, if you'd like to participate keep reading. I'm about to explain the rules of this little game.



1. Our slasher is already cast for us. He is the most evil, sadistic, brutal person you could possibly imagine. Let's just leave it at that.

2. Pick anywhere from 6 to 12 movie characters whom you would like to see murdered for one reason, or another. Maybe it was that annoying sidekick in a comedy, or the person who lost the wedding ring in your favorite rom-com. For each person you pick, explain why you'd like to see them killed. However, there are some caveats.

A. The character cannot be from a horror movie.

B. The character must NOT have died in whatever movie they were in.

C. The character cannot be the main antagonist (villain) of their movie. That would be too easy, we're supposed to hate them.

3. Pick one movie character as your "Final Girl," or the person who will survive and slay our slasher. Though I would prefer it to be a female, in keeping with genre norms, it doesn't necessarily have to be. In any event, explain why you chose this person. Tell us what makes them survivor material. There are some restrictions on this person, as well.

A. The character cannot be from a horror movie.

B. The character must NOT have or be implied to have sex during their movie. (Remember that stuff about the virginal heroine, right?)

C. The character cannot have killed or implied to have killed someone during her movie.

4. Include a link to this post.

Due to my presumed difficulty of rule 3-B, and the fact that I'd like to stretch this out throughout the month, let's set the deadline for October 30, 2014. On Halloween, October 31, 2014 I'll create a post with links to all the entries and update it as needed. To get included, leave a link to your post below in the comments section.


There are some lovely banners in this post for you to choose from for your entries. Now go set some people up to be slashed.





16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am so looking forward to taking part in this!! Great stuff Dell! :D
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this isn't quite what I expected but it does sound like fun. Now I've got to go find some characters I really, really hate.

    I'll also have to find a good choice for the final girl, which is going to be tricky based on your parameters. Now I feel tempted to break the rules and do a slasher where the virgin is the first to die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This project sounds really fun and I would love to do it. Now, I will start thinking of the characters from non- horror movies that I would like to kill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like fun. Maybe I will take part in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I get fired this month, I'm totally going to take the time to do this as I love the idea.

    Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...yay? Hope you get to participate, but not get fired.

      Delete
  6. Okay, I've written my cast:

    http://hitchcocksworld.blogspot.ca/2014/10/slasher-cast-thon.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but I just had the idea to maybe do something along the lines of this but with cosmic horror. I may have to rush in developing it (although to be fair a short deadline would fit the Lovecraftian atmosphere), but how would you feel if I could come up with something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm game. I'll be on the lookout.

      Delete
    2. Great. I've spent some time working on a draft already. I just wanted to get your approval before I posted it.

      Delete
    3. Well, here it is. You've got 15 days left to put together a team to stop the Old Ones awakening. I'd do it myself but I've got to catch the new episode of The Walking Dead.

      http://hitchcocksworld.blogspot.ca/2014/10/announcing-cosmic-horror-cast-thon.html

      Delete