Monday, March 30, 2015

The Five Senses Blogathon

I'm hazarding a guess in saying that you're aware that most humans have five senses. Nostra at My Filmviews came up with a great blogathon, making use of all of them. I'll just quit my jibber-jabber and let him explain it.

The idea

As you know the body has five senses (although some movies might suggest there is a sixth one): Sight, Sound, Taste, Smell and Touch.
So what’s the idea behind this blogathon? For each of these senses you will have to describe the movie related association you have with it. This can be a particular movie or even a scene, but also something having to do with the movie going experience (so for example the smell of popcorn in the theater).

What do you have to do?

– Write your entry to The Five Senses blogathon, where you describe the association you have for each of the senses
– Include the above blogathon logo in your post
– Add a link to this blogathon announcement so others can participate as well
– Leave a link to your entry in the comments so people can easily find your entry


You know what I hate about this blogathon? I didn't think of it. Anyhoo, here's what I was able to come up with...


Sight
Ridiculous Stunts
Many nights during my formative years were spent watching the biggest, baddest action heroes. Stallone and Schwarzenegger were gods. To them, I offered many dollars unblinking eyeballs as sacrament. Even as my taste in movies became more sophisticated, or at least more varied, I've always maintained a soft spot for seeing the hero do something seemingly impossible. Even during bad movies, there is a small part of me that becomes giddy when the laws of physics are violated in the name of entertainment. For instance, take a look at the clip above from Fast & Furious 6. Sure, I could easily roll my eyes and deny all plausibility of this scene, but where would the fun in that be?


Sound
The THX Intro Sound
Quite simply, it's the best sound in the history of the world. I've been known to rewind after hearing this sound at the start of a movie and play it again as loud as possible.


Taste
Goobers
Yes, I've eaten lots and lots of popcorn during movies. These days, going to an actual theater is a special treat. I want a special treat to go with my special treat. For me, that's the delectable chocolate covered peanuts. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.


Smell
The Absence of Aroma
This was the hardest sense to come up with something for. Obviously, the smell of popcorn was the first thing that came to mind. However, not being able to smell anything on screen is the biggest constant reminder that I'm watching a movie and not truly experiencing the same thing as the people on the screen. It's particularly noticeable when there is food on the screen. The sight of it is secondary in building my temptation for it. The smell of food comes first. Without it, what's on the screen becomes equivalent to cardboard cutouts of the real thing.


Touch
My Wife
Hate to be cliche, but over the last twenty years I've lost count of how many movie watching experiences I've shared with this woman. Through most of them, in the theater or at home, I've sat right next to her. Often, my arm is around her with her leaning in to me. In theaters where this is difficult due to immobile armrests, we've held hands. On occasion, we venture into PG-13 territory. If it ever gets to R that means the movie is getting shut off and we're going very quickly to unmentionable acts. Then, there are those times when I get to pretend to be her big, brave man. That's when something on screen makes her jump. Her grip on me tightens as if looking for protection. My favorite instance of this was during our viewing of the first Transformers movie. We saw it on the biggest IMAX screen in the area. It was her first experience with it. The sight isn't what overwhelmed her, it was the sound. Every time robots would crash into each other, or anything else, she gave me that assurance-seeking squeeze and for each and every one of those moments I journeyed to heaven.


Check Out My Entries in Other Blogathons:

6 comments:

  1. That is beautiful man. I'm still unsure if I'll participate though it's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch. Hope you do. I'd love to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  2. Aw, this is an awesome post anyway but that last paragraph was perfect!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post mate. I am still struggling to think of a movie for each sense... I'm determined too... perhaps I am pushing too hard I dunno

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it'll come. Might have to push it away for a bit then come back to it.

      Delete
  4. The last paragraph of this post is splendid! :-)

    ReplyDelete